Dienstag, 23. September 2008

I did try to found a heresy of my own

"I did, like all other solemn little boys, try to be in advance of the age. Like them I tried to be some ten minutes in advance of the truth. And I found that I was eightteen hundred years behind it. And I was punished in the fittest and funniest way, for I kept my truths: but I discovered, not that they were not truths, but simply that they are not mine. When I fancied that I stood alone I was really in the ridiculous position for being backed up by all Christendom. It may be, Heaven forgive me, that I did try to be original; but only succeeded in inventing all by myself an inferior copy of the existing traditions of civilized religion. The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."

G. K. Chesterton - Orthodoxy

Kommentare:

Condottiere hat gesagt…

Der gute Chesterton ist einfach einer der Besten :)

Alipius hat gesagt…

Ganz meine Meinung! Wunderbarer Text!